Yesterday, I heard we were supposed to get a winter storm and up to ten inches of snow. It didn't start snowing, however, until the evening, and I assumed it wouldn't be too bad. Then I woke up at 6:30 a.m. (part of a new resolution to be an early bird) to 6+ inches and counting.
I took Stanley outside, and the poor little pug was not thrilled to walk around in cold drifts of wet, white powder. Once back inside, he dived into the covers for a few more hours of shut-eye and I lit a candle, poured some hot green tea and turned on my laptop.
Later, I did venture out down the street for a cappuccino and egg sandwich ingredients (Post to come on why this particular sandwich is the best ever). I felt thankful for local stores that open amidst winter weather, for a warm home, and for a car that could survive slippery streets. I also plan to spend the rest of the day relaxing, reading, writing and binge watching Parenthood. (Can the Braverman's be real? Pretty please??)
Yes, I know it's also the Super Bowl. I'm indifferent.
So if you're like me, and your only plan today is to avoid leaving the comfort of your cozy couch, have no fear! Below is a list of things to read and watch that will certainly keep you occupied for hours.
- One man's experience of how mental illness affects a marriage.
- Best Super Bowl commercial parody.
- An advice podcast you should listen to on the regular. (Basically, anything Cheryl Strayed touches turns to gold.)
- Need these pronto.
- Is parenthood the new religion?
- Why your yoga class is so white.
- "What do we mean when we use the word meaning?"
- How to make better decisions.
- "I think rape stories are boring."
- The stereotypes of children's storybooks.
- What it's like to be a black male in America. (Unfortunately, this is one of thousands and thousands of similar stories. Due to my privilege as a white female, I've never experienced this sort of thing -- but reading about it reminds me how far our society has yet to go.)
- On instinct and discernment.
- A film I've been meaning to watch.
- Saving up for this dress.
- Why do we push away positive feelings?
- Can "wasting time on the Internet" be a good thing? Some say yes.