Popping in to share a little life update:
- We bought a house! Whoa. Much more to come on that experience, but we've mostly spent the past month working with our realtor, negotiating, closing and moving. And spending money, because apparently that's part of being a homeowner. It has been equal parts thrilling and overwhelming.
- Our dog doesn't know what to do with a fenced-in backyard. He stands outside the door and looks around like, "Is it safe? What am I supposed to do, run around?" A cautious pug, indeed.
- Though I haven't done a drop of personal writing (so much for that "write 500 words a day toward the novel" intention, whoops), I've been putting out a lot of work I'm proud of for The Everygirl, such as: what not to say to pregnant women, how to reduce stress during big changes (guess I should take my own advice), thoughtful ways to be a better ally to the LGBTQIA community, all the sexist shit I've heard over the years (*eye roll*) and all the places where icky germs lurk in your home.
- Waiting on a couple of opportunities, so fingers crossed everything works out! (Yes, I'm being that mysterious blogger who will share more when I can . . .)
- On that note, today I had a fantastic coffee-and-conversation morning with my friend Laura, who reminded me we all need a pep talk now and again. Creating is hard, lonely work. You get lots of no's for one yes once in a while, but the work is worth it.
- I recently shared a whole bunch of personal stories on the Catch This Mama podcast, which was wayyyy outside my comfort zone but SO fun. Give it a listen if you have the time.
- I'm an ambassador for the Des Moines Women's Half Marathon in May, though chances are very high I'll only run the 5K.
- Working on two fun freelance projects with my friend Jami: one is a portrait + essay series of grandmothers and another is a story about siblings who run their own businesses. If you've got any good people for us to interview, let me know!
- I got Invisalign. At age 30. It is really cramping my drink-coffee-all-morning style. How cool am I, though?
- We had two birthday parties to celebrate Ezra turning one. I got real Pinterest-y and bought a sweet balloon set as our one decoration (going with the "one" theme, obv) and then promptly forgot to use it. He loved the boxes his toys came in. #winning
- I'll be speaking at the next Des Moines Register Storytellers Project, on motherhood and ambivalence! Another speaking event that is not usually my norm, but I'm incredibly excited to participate.
It's going to be a busy spring <3